Emerging out of a prayer meeting of 12 people in 1937, First Baptist Church of Marshall Heights currently has 394 members. Pastor Campbell served as pastor for one year and Pastor Williams served for just a short length of time. In 1939, Pastor William Tyler was called to serve as Pastor of First Baptist Church of Marshall Heights.
Under the pastoral leadership of, the late Dr. William Tyler, First Baptist established a Deacon Board, Trustee Board, Church School, Baptist Training Union, and three church wide committees. Thirty-seven auxiliaries and clubs were also organized. Evangelistic work was done in Washington, D.C., Connecticut, South Carolina, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey and New York. The church enjoyed membership in the Potomac River Baptist Association, District Baptist Convention, and National Baptist Convention. During Dr. Tyler's tenure as pastor, First Baptist built its current church building in 1964 and burned the mortgage in 1975.
Moreover, seven ministers were licensed by Dr. Tyler, five of which were called as Pastors. Dr. Tyler served as pastor for 38 years, until he was called home to glory in September 1977.
Under the leadership of former pastor, Dr. Lehman D. Bates, First Baptist organized a Senior Citizen Group (now called the Silver Threads), the Disciples of Christ youth group, and Boy and Girl Scout Troops for children ages 5-17 years old.
Dr. Bates licensed 11 men of God to preach the gospel and eight were installed as Pastors. He also started the Pastors Fellowship Guild with neighboring churches. The church enjoyed membership in the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, American Baptist Churches of the South (ABCOTS) and supported the United Negro College Fund. Foreign missions were supported directly through the Lott Carey Baptist Foreign Mission Convention. The church enhanced its local evangelistic work by adopting the J.C Nalle Elementary School; providing backpacks, school supplies, bus transportation for school trips, and winter clothing for needy students. Dr. Bates was installed as pastor in 1979 and served in this capacity until his departure in 2012.
In February 2015, Dr. André D. Ivy was voted in as the fifth Pastor of First Baptist Church of Marshall Heights. Dr. Ivy’s installation was held on Sunday, September 6, 2015. Dr. Ivy and the First Baptist Church family are looking forward to a great Pastor and People relationship.
Find Out More About
What's New At
First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church of Marshall Heights
4934 B Street, S. E. Washington, D.C. 20019
Rev. Dr. Andre’ D. Ivy, Pastor
Copyright © 2019 - All Rights Reserved.